Sunday, September 07, 2008

Bury Me Like Crazy Horse


Bury me like Crazy Horse:
Unearthable peaks will be my headstone--peaks unmoved
by faith or manifest destiny.
The untouchable sky will be my epitaph--renewed
each day with unwavering vigour.
Unknown to corruption.
Under natural earth.
In Gods true name.



My wife would want me to be doing my fafsa right now, but she also wants me to wear a helmet in a state where you don't have to. It's a completely respectable request--however, it's one of the few things I have to be hardcore in the White Tanks.

Here is a list of hardcore things to do here:

1. play guitar through a blaring amp by yourself

2. drink wine, beer, or Wild Turkey by yourself, or occasionally while talking to a friend on the phone

3. drink black, black coffee by yourself, or occasionally with you wife

4. ride without a helmet

5. get slammed in the face by the fist of Daniel Pruitt

6. Practice your fly fishing cast in the front yard

It has nothing to do with style, as many have so accused me of concerning. In fact, it doesn't have anything to do with being hardcore--it just is.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

There once was a man named Pruitt,
Who wound up a punch and threw it
At Paul in the face,
As if to disgrace
Hardcore, and everything to it.

TW said...

I did enjoy Drake's poem, but I'm all for your hardcoreness. If it's any consolation to the wife I wasn't wearing a helmet when I got hit by a taxi and 2 stitches was the reply. But streets are tougher and cars are rougher in the US of A. I'm with you at least on #2 now (#4 got put in step by the VN man -- though I'm more worried now about my shoddy helmet cracking and entering my scalp in a million tiny places). Miss ya friend, hope Franny is well faster than me, I wish I could absorb her infant sickness into my semi-adult body.

jenny baker said...

my God, it's full of scars.

riverside is neither scooter nor bike savvy. unless we move to a location with more sense, it's helmet hair for michael forever or no more lovin.

chris, you must write more. MUST.

tyler, hello. :)

rosie said...

anything done in the white tanks is hardcore...the mountains make sure of it.

TW said...

By Drake poem I do mean Sir Francis' comment #1. I'm on the road myself, perhaps just a few blocks behind Franny.

d. vanheule said...

i would love to do some hardcore stuff with you sometime. it sounds fun. hey your wife is really cool (hardcore) too. i am glad i got to know her a little in vegas. hope to see you guys soon.

Thomas Ham said...

I'm told practicing fly fishing is better in the backyard!