Sunday, April 29, 2007

Baptist Camp equals get laid.




The outer shell was God/seeker, the inner was all making/out. All of those poor girls really thought I was praising God next to them.

It hangs deep in his robes, a delicate
clapper at the center of a bell.
It moves when he moves, a ghostly fish in a
halo of silver seaweed, the hair
swaying in the dark and the heat -- and at night
while his eyes sleep, it stands up
in praise of God.
-Sharon Olds

I cannot do this.
This was a pretty depressing reflection, but only because I was so fake. I should have seen through the Sundayschool lessons about Baptist Camp that told me to be ashamed of wanting to kiss and touch there. I am the one who--instead of changing--facaded my way to their lips.
Love,
Paul

Post Script:
The explosions in the sky show was glorious. Ther were a lot of interesting souls there. Thinking about the bouncers--how they laugh at the silly kids and there silly music--and how they are necessary for these things to happen. We coexist/ed. There were a lot of sappy girls there, flowers in hair to match the ones on their silly dresses. A few Indian guys were carying pitchers of amber colored beer around and tried to get past the mohawked female tattooed bouncer, but she wouldn't allow it.
I'm in the process of redishing the rear wheel of my bike. Since we survive a dirt road and desert terrain, I have a chance to really take shit apart, including my almost inner city soul.

8 comments:

Matt Pool said...

it's good. it's good.
so our phone interaction was short lived. i'll do my best to resuscitate asap. miss you guys.

j.a.c. said...

I've always thought that it's pretty lame how churches go about all of that. What else could possibly be the outcome of combining sexes in youth groups, especially youth summer camps. Stupid. Of course all we care about is going to meet a boy/girl, and they know it. Its just that they want to draw big crowds, and that's the only way to do it.

Lammo.

I'd rather see a small group of sincere seekers over a unruly gang of little sluts any day. Paul, you're a little slut, but I love you.

Joseph Mains said...

All's well that ends soon!

As for camps, you know what I say:

Join Loins
Wed tonight.

JP said...

my parents fell in love at a christian youth summer camp, and my mom became a christian there. i am thankful for both of those things. but your point is a good one, much slutiness is practically provoked, maybe single gender missions trips that involve servanthood have better outcomes. love you paul and family, come see us soon.

Pete said...

At least you never stood on a street corner and passed out tracts and tried to "prove" God's existence to all those lost people in Pasadena.

We've all made asses and liars of ourselves at some point.

Keith said...

I see your point but I dont agree with it totally; camps serve a purpose (besides the one you mentioned.) As a kid, its great to see that there are other kids, just like you, who believe the things you do. It is universality at work and helps to eradicate the idea that your faith belongs to your family (i.e. gleaned from your dad, etc. and is thus invalid.)

Michael Baker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TW said...

we've been at baptist camp for way too long...isn't it time for september and lazer tag or back to school bbq?